PART 1 -- Template Creation
- Create a page with all the site wide elements (common header, footer, sidebar, etc..) that you will need for your project. This requires some careful planning even for small web sites.
- Validate your code with the W3C code validation tools.
CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
HTML - http://validator.w3.org/
- Test your prototype page in all major browsers.
- When you're completely satisfied with the page layout, SaveAs Template. DW will save this as a .dwt file in a site folder called Templates.
- DW will ask you to add Editable Regions for stuff that will change from page to page. Do this and hit SAVE (Ctrl+S).
- Close your Template.dwt file.
PART 2 -- Home Page Creation
- File > New > Site Templates. Select your site from panel #2. Select your Template.dwt file from panel #3. Hit the Create button.
- This is known as a child page. You can only edit content within editable regions. Everything else is locked or grayed out.
- SaveAs index.html (your domain home page) in the root of your local site folder.
PART 3 -- Creating Other Site Pages
- Repeat PART 2 for each additional page required.
PART 4 -- Editing Templates
- Open your main TEMPLATE.dwt file and add a navigation menu with links to your site pages.
- SAVE (Ctrl+S).
- DW will ask if you want to populate changes to child pages. Hit yes.
- Publish all site pages to your server.